Friday, April 2, 2010

The third day, leaving the woods






Tuesday March 16th got off to an interesting start. I started off a little earlier and was pleased that I felt reasonably good and that my gear was dry. I followed the blue blazes down the trail for about 30 minutes and encountered an obstacle I could not overcome.

The obstacle was a river that was about 10 feet across and at least a foot and a half deep. I might have tried it but it also had a swift current. I am sure the river would be a lot less treacherous except for the spring melt and the rain a couple of days ago.

I backed track to a small road I had crossed minutes before and turned north. The road's name turned out to be Tripp Rd. My maps indicated that if I went far enough north on Tripp Rd that I would run into M-34. I knew there would be a little restaurant west on M-34. I hadn't eaten yet today and it was past noon so I was looking forward to it.

About 2 miles later I saw the signs ahead for a BP gas station and store, and the Sidekick Cafe. Oh happy days!

The Sidekick Cafe had a 50's motif. It was an original version of a Johnny Rockets except it only had one server who wasn't dressed up like a 50's movie icon. Sausage, eggs, pan-fried potatoes, toast and coffee sure tasted good after 2 days of Lipton's, Ramon Noodles and rice. I bought some AAA batteries for my camera from the BP along with cleaning myself up as good as I could in a public restroom.

Back on the road.

I reached the Baw Beese Trail and hiked that for about 5 miles. I passed several small lakes, ponds, streams and farms. I passed a few homes as I was reaching Hillsdale. The Baw Beese lake is rather large and very pleasing. I saw beaver on the ice that remained on the lake. The path was now turning into more of a park bike path and it was paved. I reached the actual park now as I reached the Hillsdale town border.

Nice park. It had a boat ramp, beach, marked nature trails and an outhouse I put to good use.

As I reached downtown Hillsdale I had another treat. Burger King for late lunch.
Fast food never tasted this good before.

I continued down the train to downtown Hillsdale where it basically turned into a sidewalk next to M-99. I went north on M-99 until I reached the Hillsdale
Day's Inn which is the same place Diane and I had stayed on the way down.

At the Day's Inn I thought I was in paradise. Nice room. Hot tub. Good Bed. Hungry Howies for dinner.

I washed my clothes by hand and hung them around the bathroom and over the room heater. Reminiscing over the last three days as I was writing my journal helped me to gain some perspective and satisfaction.

I met some nice people along the way, I was experiencing an early Spring commune with nature, and was doing better physically than I had expected. I also covered 27 miles in three days Not bad for a first timer at this type of adventure.

The pictures above:

Sign at the Sidekick Cafe

Blaze along the Baw Beese

Interesting Chicken Coops

Nature in the evening

Beaver on the ice

No comments:

Post a Comment