Thursday, April 15, 2010

On the way to Battle Creek






The Quality Inn was well situated for me to rejoin the NCT. I was on 11 mile, headed south to F Drive and was on my way. Less than a mile to rejoin the trail. I cut through a farmer's field because it would save a few steps and after yesterday I wanted all the help I could.

I tried to prepare better for today's journey. I did a lot of work on my feet in an attempt to head off more problems. I put two layers of second skin where blisters or torn blisters were present. I put moleskin on my worse blister. I taped everything that hurt. I put an additional set of inserts in my boots and I put on my thickest hiking socks.

I could think of nothing to do to help my aching raw right shoulder. That pain I would just have to grin and bear. I lubed up any area of my body that the constant rubbing was likely to make a rash. I had a nice breakfast at the hotel and I was on the road by 9:00.

F Drive basically took me to a woods trail area. The NCT is part of this off road trail I began to enjoy myself and with the better attitude I also felt a little better physically. My feet were so tightly bound that I could barely feel them.

The path first headed to a park which was set up to display several old bridges built around the turn of the previous century around the late 1800's and early 1900's. It was a display that was set up for hikers. If you ever get a chance it is worth a visit. I think that the pictures tell more.

I entered a small park and took a short break. The next part of the trail was a real challenge. I felt that I put myself in positions of possible danger during this segment. I had to go through a lot of bogs. If I slipped of the log or missed stepped in anyway I was in the mud and also sinking fast.

The weight of the pack was making it difficult because as I was changing direction. The weight of the pack would shift and throw me off balance. I extended the hiking poles as they were sinking into the mud. They were more helpful as they were now longer. I did have one more vivid moment of fear as I almost fell over backwards. If I fell I may have injured my head or my best hope would have been to just be covered in mud. Thankfully, I caught my balance and leaped to sturdier ground. If you are going to hike in the spring these conditions are unavoidable.

I decided to follow the train tracks for about an half mile. I saw a service road to my right, left the tracks and took the road. I walked down this narrow dirt road for quite awhile.

At one point I removed my backpack and retrieved my bed mattress. I rolled it out in some long grass and took a half hour break. I wasn't sure if I was on the right path but it was nice in this area and was definitely heading in the right direction. Never underestimate the need for a compass when you are off road.

When I emerged from the woods I only had a general idea of where I was at. My map and my feeble sixth sense suggested I turn right on this rather major road, Michigan Avenue. I began second guessing myself right away. I continued in that direction because I saw a McDonalds and I wanted lunch.

I popped open my netbook and pulled up google earth. I was able to pinpoint my exact location. I had been following the right direction.

The trip was very cool for the next couple of hours. The trail went through the Ott Preserve. I saw a Wild Turkey flying, not the most graceful. I also saw swan, geese, duck and other animals. The Turkey was my favorite.

I popped out of the woods on Jamison Avenue. I was near 7 miles now and getting very tired. I would have loved to find a bar, fast food or any restaurant to cool off in and get a bite to eat and a beverage. No such luck. I also noticed that my water supply was low. It is over 80 degrees so I am now hot, tired and getting thirsty. Rationing my water supply was no fun.

Jamison Avenue ended in front of a huge scrap yard. This is a massive facility. I think I walked in front of it for more than half of a mile. From Raymond, to Emmet, to the Battle Creek Linear trail. I took a few more breaks and was pleased to now be walking the BCLT.

The good people of Battle Creel have done a wonderful job with this River walk. My best estimate from my map is that the trail is more than 10 miles long. Tomorrow, I will complete the rest of the trail.

To add to drama of the day, the hotel I was staying at, The EconoLodge, phone continued to say that their phone had been disconnected. I was pretty sure they were open but I couldn't confirm it.

I called Diane and asked for her help once more. One thing is for sure. When you are on foot you can not afford mistakes I was getting very sore and tired and I needed a place to stay tonight. I had hit the 10 mile mark and didn't feel I could go much longer.

After a while she located an alternative hotel that was in proximity to the Econolodge. I felt a little better and continued to walk. I entered more of a downtown area and saw that there was a motel called the Hometown Inn right there close to the trail. This would save me at least a mile of walking and it was closer to the trail. All in all I travelled a little over 11.25 miles today. I feel slightly better than yesterday.

No room service here, so Lipton's cup of soup and Trail Mix for dinner. I don't mind at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment