Saturday, April 24, 2010

Kellogg Bird Sanctuary Sundy April 18th





Up bright and early again but it is at the Gull Lake resort and the hot tub awaits. I took a good soak and got dressed. TJ was still sleeping so I woke him enough to find out he wasn't ready to go to breakfast. So off I went.

Continental breakfast was being served. I toasted a bagel for cream cheese, took a muffin, a danish, two bananas and two oranges. I filled a coffee and two orange juices and balancing everything very carefully back to the room I went. TJ was still asleep. This time I was less delicate when waking him.

I packed my backpack and got ready to leave. TJ was up and about. He ate a little of what I brought back and we packed the rest for lunch. Off we went around noon.
We backpacked to the trail head and into the woods we went. It was a beautiful day with nature's beauty enhancing everything.

We reached a trail head and sat down for a quick lunch. TJ had been on this trail long enough now that he was basically leading the way. He understood how the maps worked, how the blazes worked and how the trails went. He was quickly becoming my guide and protector.

As I began to notice how his quiet leadership was beginning to take hold I felt a new peace about him becoming a marine. This was his third day with me and it was becoming clear to me that if he sticks through basic training the service will be a good career choice for him.

Two and a half days and he complained about nothing. He loves his girl, his family and his old Uncle Ed. He has proven to have good instincts and an amazing control of his demeanor. I have been a mentor of his for years and am proud of the young man, ready to take his place in the world, that he is turning out to be.

I am proud he is a member of my family.

We continued on and came to a trail head near the Kellogg Bird Sanctuary. We did not see any trail markers anywhere. TJ thought the trail probably followed the fence but I opted for a second opinion anyway. There was a welcome center at the entrance of the bird sanctuary and we went inside. We talked to the gentleman behind the counter who only vaguely knew where the trail was. Like TJ, he thought the trail followed the fence.

With that information we followed the fence. We had followed the fence for about a mile and saw no trail blaze marks. We had passed one hole in the fence and it took a lot of my considerable willpower not to go in. One hundred yards later there was an even larger hole in the fence. I could walk right in. TJ was game and in we went. I knew this part of the bird sanctuary had been closed but what the heck. Isn't that what an adventure is all about?

It is very beautiful in the sanctuary. We saw many different types of birds and animals. There were boggy areas filled with skunk cabbage and many beautiful plants.

On a more disturbing note we saw five deer carcasses in about a one hundred yard span. We weren't able to figure out what would have killed them. There was a trail for the sanctuary vehicles but they would have been going to slow and would have been on the look out. I suppose it was possible that they somehow hurt themselves trying to get over the fence. Considering how close together they were I think that perhaps it was a population control measure the sanctuary had put into place so that the deer would not over run the environment here.

We had passed two open gates as we were traveling through the sanctuary. I guess we could have walked in or out through both of these. We continued to follow the trail inside the park. Eventually it ended at a high fence and gate. There were no holes in the fence and the gate was tightly secured at this point.

TJ threw his packs over the fence and started the climb. He got to the top and swung his leg over. He jumped and at the same time I heard a rip. He didn't really want that pair of denim shorts anyway.

Now it was my turn. My pack weighs close to 50 pounds and I wanted no holes in it. I was able to get it to the top of the fence where TJ was able to grab an end. Together we were able to get it over the fence with no damage. I tossed the rest of the gear over and up I went. TJ did everything but carry me like a baby to make sure I got over the fence injury free. As my clothing hooked onto the fence he freed it. He wanted to catch me but I motioned for him to move. I made the leap and did not hurt myself. I did catch a sleeve on my jacket and later discovered a small hole in the seat of my pants but all in all I made it unharmed. It is good to have a caring and very large nephew.

No comments:

Post a Comment