Friday, April 30, 2010

Lowell.......small town america at its best

Monday, April 26th looked to be a difficult day. If I follow the trail exactly right I have about a 14 to 15 mile day ahead of me. I have only gone that far once before and that wasn't on purpose.

Lowell is the North Country Trail Association National Headquarters. It is a fairly large town but it has no motels, campgrounds or bed and breakfast lodging available.

I had contacted Bruce Matthews of the Trail Association a few weeks earlier and he had given me the phone number of Dirk who has been a large part of the Lowell Boy Scout Troop for more than 25 years. Bruce thought he might be able to set me up with lodging at a local Boy Scout cabin.

Having failed to make prior arrangements I once again had to rely on Diane to make the calls for my lodging. If she failed I would be camping in the Lowell State Game Area. I was okay with this but running water and not being wet with rain or dew is good as well.

I left Tyler Creek early as I had a long way to go and an uncertain finish to my day. Options were the Lowell Fairgrounds, the Boy Scout Cabin or another wet night in the woods.

The entire route to Lowell was over the road. This is both good and bad. Over the road is less physical as the grade of the hills is much easier but the hard surface causes pain in the heels and arches of my feet. I try walking on the soft shoulders whenever possible.

Mile after mile I kept trudging along. I sang hymns, old time rock and roll, did army chants and anything I could think of to make the time and distance pass. I even did the old stand by "One Hundred Bottles of Beer on the Wall" except I started at 200 bottles.

Eventually I crossed the I-96 Highway.I felt this was a milestone of sorts. It is the farthest north Interstate that runs east and west in Michigan. It also meant that I had covered 9 miles with about 4 more to go. Two thirds of the way. I wasn't feeling too bad and I knew I would make it.

Two hours later, around 4:00 p.m., I was crossing the Grand River. The river was very wide at the crossing heading into Lowell. It was much wider than the Kalamazoo River. It's name is appropriate.

Diane called and told me that Dirk said they would love to have me stay at the Boy Scout Cabin. She gave me Dirk's number. About this time I saw a gentleman working on a Historic Property. I chatted with him and he gave me information on where to eat and where the NCTA building was.

I was too late for the NCTA but perfect for Larkin's. I ordered a big burger and fries and a brew or two. I than called Dirk and he extended a warm invitation to stay at the cabin and gave me directions on how to get there. He said they had a get together that would last until 8:30 and I could join them if I would like.

Dinner was good and now I was walking through town. I met a couple of men and we talked for quite a while. They confirmed I was heading the correct route for the campground.

The sounds of activity and fun were heard long before I reached the Cabin. Apparently, they also had quite a bit of land along with the cabin. Their land also backed into the Lowell State Game Area. A perfect combination for Scout activities.

I am still amazed at the spirit, size, cooperation and brotherhood of this organization. I don't think I have ever seen a better example of how life should and can be if done right. From the participation of the parents, the involvement of the leaders and the boys themselves, this is a top notch organization.

Dirk had been the scout leader for I believe close to 25 years. Sometime in the last couple of years he turned over the reins to a young man who has really committed himself to carrying on a great Lowell tradition.

There are nearly 100 boys that belong to this one troop from Lowell. That is impressive.

I also met another leader in the troop whose name is Del. I enjoyed talking to him very much. Del was coming back in the morning to lock up after me. So without having ever met me, these kind and committed men let me have their cabin to myself for the night. I can't really express how this blessed me.

An interesting fact. The United Methodist Church sponsors the Boy Scout Troop. That is now the fourth time the Methodists have helped me directly on my quest. As I said a few weeks ago, I have to love the Methodists.

I had walked over 13 miles this day. I slept well.

No comments:

Post a Comment