Saturday, April 10, 2010

On to Albion......






Today I started a lot earlier than normal. The weather is perfect for an early spring day. A sunny day with a brilliant blue sky. I am feeling good.

I started at 8:30 a.m. and began my hike down Webster Rd. which turned into 25 1/2 mile road. I followed that for about 2 miles. Very rural. Mostly farms and fields.

I then turned onto J Drive to the east and picked up Condit Road which is the same as 26 Mile Road. I hiked Condit all the way to M-99 which took me to Albion. I was heading north when I reached the southern most point of the city.

Albion is very beautiful when you enter from the south heading north on M-99. The road follows the Kalamazoo River as it widens into a striking lake. As you cross the bridge a cemetery appears on the right hand side. It is well maintained with obvious love and pride.

I passed the University area and was heading downtown. The downtown area was blighted. It is unfortunate that in almost all cities of any size that the downtown historic areas are rundown and often have many closed store fronts. It was a little depressing after spending the last few days in rural small town Michigan.

I ended up at the Albion Inn and spent the night. Even though Albion is on the small size of cities it seemed plenty big after walking the 3 miles to the north side.

It was real nice to spend the evening in a motel after another 11+ mile day. I am looking forward to seeing Diane tomorrow and most of the rest of my family on Easter Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment