Sunday, April 25, 2010

The longest day






Having survived my first experience at "Commando" camping has given me more confidence at behaving a little out of the box.

I was up bright and early. It wasn't my intention to waste much time this morning in my clandestine camping location.

I packed up in record time and was on the road before 8:00 a.m. I headed north on Kelly, went east on Herbert Road, north on Hallock and east on Osborne. My early departure resulted in a different look at nature's bounty.

I saw at least 14 deer by 10:00 a.m., the song birds were plentiful and the morning was perfect. All of this resulted in me feeling a little better than normal as I continued my cross country trek.

I looked at my map and saw my note that there was a restaurant just 4 miles away in Prarieville. Being of strong body and mind, sometimes I wonder at that last part, I decided I would go all the way to the restaurant without any breaks. My normal pace is a break about every 2 miles which equals about 1 break per hour.

I turned north on Parker Road and now I was within 2 miles of my goal. Great breakfast in a country restaurant. I continued my pace and there it was in the distance. No problem, hot breakfast here I come.

Another culinary disappointment, the restaurant wasn't open on Mondays. I then thought that I had seen in my past that some smaller businesses aren't open on Mondays. That is generally the case if it is owner operated.

I think I stood in front of that closed restaurant for a full 10 minutes just feeling like I missed out on possibly one of the greatest eating experiences of my life.

Well, there was a little gas station and store across the street. It would have to do for a few supplies and a now early lunch. Believe me, the prepackaged, dry, ham sandwich wasn't what I originally had in mind. I also had a V8 juice, vitamin water and an orange.

According to my maps there should be a small store on my way out of Prarieville and I planned on stopping there to resupply. I basically ate everything I bought at the gas station.

Another letdown. The store I desperately needed was permanently closed. I guess you can't always count on Google Earth having the most up to date information.

By this time I had over 6 miles in and it was barely noon.

North on Norris Road for 5 miles only turned up a small park with a port-o-john and no water supply. Not a single store or diner the whole way. Eleven miles ago I knew I needed to get resupplied or it was one cup of Lipton's cup of soup for me today.

I turned west onto Keller road and in a short time I reached my first off road trail of the day. This trail would take me the 5 miles to Yankee Springs State Recreation Area which is where I wanted to stay tomorrow.

Shortly after turning onto the trail I realized I had run out of drinking water. My hydration system consists of a vinyl bag that holds 2 liters of water and a hose connected to the bag that I suck the water through. It is a great system. The only down side is that I cannot see the bag because of where it attaches to my backpack.

I wasn't too worried because I have a nifty filtration system also. As soon as I found a stream, river or lake I would purify water, fill my drinking water and have my cup of soup. I hoped to find water right away as I had already reached the 12 miles I had set as my goal. I would like to set up camp now.

About a mile into the woods I began to get quite thirsty. I hadn't found any water and I badly needed a break. I began sucking on Life Savers to help with the thirst. I removed my pack and laid down for an half hour or so. Twelve miles seems so long and who knows how far I still would have to go.

Back to work! The break did its job. I tended my feet with "New Skin" and taped the areas that were getting the sorest. Overall, I could feel a lot worse.

I walked a couple of more miles and no sign of water. This has to be the longest stretch I have gone without seeing water. I did not like the feeling of thirst that I was now experiencing.

I was beginning to think I would have to go all the way to tomorrow's destination which is a rustic campsite at Deep Lake. At least they had water and a place to put my tent. I was already past the farthest I had ever gone and 3 more miles almost seemed impossible.

The trail turned and I could barely believe my eyes. Before me it looked as though a tornado had gone through the forest and ripped down everything. In front of me was a mess of flattened trees, branches and dead fall that I wasn't sure I could pass through.

It turned out this mess was a clear cut which is part of what the DNR does to control the spread of forest fires. They had cut everything down but had not yet hauled the mess out. I carefully picked my way through the 100 or so yards of disaster and made it across without injury. Sometimes I am very lucky.

Now I had a new problem. I could find no sign of my trail anywhere. I walked north than east and my trail blazes were no where in sight.

I could not be more tired and lost as well. Not a good combination. Panic would do me no good for I had no water and only about 2 hours of daylight left. The only prudent thing to do was to take a break and get myself under control. I studied the map and checked both my compasses. Due west was my way to the road that would eventually lead me to the campsite.

Now to find a trail to take me west. Feeling a little more rested I started up again. I had a fleeting thought that I would gladly pay $20.00 for a bottle of water. Of course that would mean I would have to find someone with water.

Once again God was with me and I found a trail heading west. I walked the trail for a short time and it merged with the NCT trail that I could not find. The clear cut had removed all of the trees just as the NCT had made a sharp turn to the west. I never could have found the trail because it no longer existed. I had mentioned crossing the clear cut for a hundred yards plus. What I hadn't mentioned is that it was probably a half mile long of flattened trees.

I reached Yankee Spring Roads and headed to the campground. I was so glad to reach the campground I actually found a little energy reserve and quickened my pace for the remaining distance.

Inside, I immediately sought out the water pump and filled my water bag, my filtration bag and my cooking cup and drank about a quart of water. Hard to believe how much better I felt. I set up my campsite and started a roaring fire.

Diane came to my rescue again. She managed to talk a Hungry Howie's into coming to the campground to make a delivery. I met the delivery fella at the entrance of the park and felt very good about giving him a very generous tip. Chicken Wings, a Calzone sandwich and a two liter bottle of diet Pepsi tasted heavenly.

Much to my amazement and a testimony to God I managed to walk 17.3 miles to safety on this beautiful, interesting, and harrowing day.

No comments:

Post a Comment