Friday, April 30, 2010

My first public campground







I woke up Sunday April 25th, well rested and ready to go. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't cooperating. The rain flap did its job. I was dry on the inside of the tent but everything else was wet.

I packed everything that I had while I was in the tent. The tent was the last thing I normally put in my backpack but normally it is not sopping wet. The rain was nearing the end of it's cycle so I quickly took down the rain flap and tent and packed it up. Now the tent, most of my equipment and part of me was damp. Oh, Well!

The rain stopped and the sky cleared. It turned in to a crisp beautiful spring day. I was quite comfortable walking through the woods. The exertion kept me warm and the cool air and dampness felt refreshing. My biggest problem is damp leaves in the woods are very slippery on the up slope and the down slope. In other words it was slippery and I had to watch my step for the mile I still had to go in the woods.

Over the road to Tyler Creek Campground and Golf Resort I went. It was only about 6 miles away and seemed a fairly easy hike. Periods of rain alternated with clear sky. I never found the expected rainbow.

I saw Tyler Creek straight ahead and entered their grounds. I made a beeline to the clubhouse. I was the only camper to sign up for a tent site. Go figure.

The only food I had since Diane splurged on McDonalds Saturday morning was Tuna from a foil pack and granola bars. Cooking even boiling water isn't easy in the rain.

I thought about using my stove in the tent but good sense won out and I opted out of that stupid idea. Burning a hole in the bottom of my tent or burning it and myself didn't seem worth the cup of coffee I could have gained with this venture.

Immediately after I registered for a campsite I ordered two burgers. I was pleasantly surprised that they were able to cook them. There were no golfers and no campers but to my pleasure he had turned on the grill and burgers I ate. They were great. I need to point out that the grill was a barbecue like you probably have at home in your back yard.

Even though it was early I set up the tent so that I could start drying everything out. The weather cooperated and the strong cool breeze helped to dry the tent and rain flap.

I had access to water and paper towels and used this to clean me and dry me and all of my gear. Cold but good to get dried out. Shortly after the last burst of rain a couple of diehards showed up and golfing began. I was a little jealous.

All in all, Sunday was pretty relaxing.

2 comments:

  1. Ed Miller Jr.2/5/10 6:46 PM

    You should pack your clubs. What's an extra 25lbs on your back while you hike for 6 weeks?

    ReplyDelete