Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Day 2: Monday, March 15, 2010






I slept in.

I usually don't sleep well but this was a much appreciated exception.

I finished off the cup of soup. I actually made two portions. One for last night and one for this morning. Can you live on a diet of just cup of soup? I will have to try something a little different later.

Eventually I got everything packed and off I went. I was in the Lost Nation Game Area so I was already in the woods. Most of my gear was wet but I packed it up anyway. It promised to be a beautiful early spring day. The sun was up and was already showing the signs of warming.

It was my intention to take it a little easier today. Yesterday was the farthest I ever traveled by foot with a backpack. I used to be a runner and had covered longer distances but not carrying 50 lbs on my back. I was also starting in the woods and even though it is a better trek it is also more arduous as you have to walk a winding, up and down, slippery trail. If I made 3 or 4 miles I would be satisfied.

So off I went seeking new adventure. The trekking poles worked great on the slippery up and down slopes and I made better than expected time. The sun was also drying out my clothes and I began to warm up.

Early on I came to a stream that I remembered reading about in a NCT hiking journal.
At first I didn't see a way across that didn't involve getting very wet. The journal had mentioned a rock bridge but it wasn't readily apparent.

After a few minutes of searching I saw the bridge about 3 inches under water. Spring run off and the rain had its impact here as well. I was a little worried about losing my balance with the backpack on. The stream was about five foot wide and I thought I might be able to toss the backpack across.

With the concern of looming failure, I took off my backpack and swung it back and forth and attempted the throw.

Yahoo , the old man still has it!

I must of ate Wheaties this morning with the cup of soup because I easily made the distance and then some.

I extended the trekking poles so they would reach the stream bed. I than completed the crossing to the other bank. I reached the other side by carefully going rock to rock balanced by the trekking poles.

Once reaching the other side, I hiked a little longer and came to a lake. I decided to rest and tried to catch a fish. Tried is the operative word. I have always had trouble catching fish and today was no different. My record of futility is still in tack. I lost a lure, didn't have a nibble, kept getting hung up in the trees and decided it was time to stop trying. A real Chevy Chase moment.

I hiked a total of about 5 miles and decided to take advantage of the unseasonably warm day and set up camp. I wanted to dry everything out. After setting up camp I made a little dinner. It consisted of Spanish Rice sans fish.

Everything was still damp from last night but I was able to start a small campfire. I enjoyed this a lot as darkness fell on the second day. It was very cold again tonight, around 30 degrees but I was warm snuggled in my sleeping bag. I slept well once again.

The pictures above:

Trail Marker

Camp - Second Day

The Stream

The Rock Bridge

Trail Blaze

No comments:

Post a Comment