Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Training is Paying Off








It is the middle of February and I have been increasing my endurance steadily. I packed, emptied and repacked my backpack many times. I tried out all of my equipment from my stove to my tent. Altogether the total weight of my backpack and supplies was 50 lbs. I tried some treadmill work and small walks with 35 lbs. I kept making adjustments until the extra weight felt right.

Now it was time to try a full 50 lbs in hiking conditions. I measured the route of starting at my home, going to Tindell, left on Rattalee Lake, left of Eaton, left on Davisburg and back home. It is 4 1/2 miles.

The 50 lb. pack seemed extremely heavy. I had some difficulty getting it on. It was more likely I was going to injure myself putting on my pack than actually hiking.

I figured out a way to put on the backpack by sitting on the floor or ground and putting on the pack from a sitting position. I would then turn over onto my hands and knees and stand-up.

Time to start the hike. I have trekking poles and that helped maintain my balance as I was getting use to handling the weight. I kept putting one foot in front of the other until 4 1/4 miles later home was in sight. I was actually trembling by the time I made it through the door. Not a successful first try.

I was disappointed that it took everything I had to go the 4+ miles. I knew I needed to be able to do at least 10 miles a day if I was going to hike the North Country Trail. That distance is necessary to get to resupply and lodging.

Two days later I lightened the load to 35 lbs and paced myself differently. Along the route are three different park areas I could stop at. I took advantage of all of them. I took an hour longer but felt a lot better and felt I could go longer. I was encouraged to try with 50 lbs again.

Two loops around my route is 9 miles. I took many breaks, had lunch along the way and stopped several times to observe the beauty of nature. Six hours and 9 miles later I arrived home. I had learned how to pace myself in a way that I would be able to go the 10 necessary miles. Physically, emotionally and equipment wise I was ready to go.

But it was only middle February and that is not the time for this type of trip in Michigan. My plan was to keep checking the weather for a one week window that would allow me to hit the trail.

I was antsy to get going.

I was going on a cruise with my wife, youngest daughter and her fiance the last week of February. This was great timing. I had something to distract me from "weather watch". When we returned from the cruise on March 1st, I new it was time.

After a few days a weather pattern was forming that appeared to be on my side. There were going to be a few days with highs in the 50's and lows in the 30's.
This should be doable. I planned on starting on Sunday, March 14th. The photos are pictures from my "training route".

No comments:

Post a Comment