Thursday, March 25, 2010

Just talking with Sabrina

Before Christmas I was talking to Sabrina, my second oldest granddaughter. She is a beautiful young lady who has always been very special to my wife Diane and I.


We were talking about the Appalachian Trail. She was interested in hiking part of the trail some day. I told her that I would love to try that if I could shed 50 lbs and get in good enough shape to give it a fair shot.


Sabrina is a junior in high school so that would give me a year and a half to prepare.


As is my way I started researching the Appalachian Trail. After much research it was clear to me that you don't just start walking the trail. Months of preparation would be needed. You would need the equipment, the strength and endurance, and a great desire to make a dent in this 2400 mile test of body and spirit.


While researching, I discovered a lesser known trail system called the North Country Scenic Trail. This trail starts in upstate New York and goes through Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and North Dakota.


The trail runs through Michigan which is the state I live in, so I became much more interested in the possibility of a long but less strenuous start to my hiking life. After three months of preparation I began the first leg of my journey. I covered 70 miles in 7 days carrying a backpack with about 50 lbs of equipment.


I started keeping a journal of my "Quest" as part of making the experience memorable. My main reason for starting this blog is to share my journal, thoughts and perhaps give and receive advice as I progress. I hope to be a source of inspiration for the "Not so Young" and the "Young" as well.


2 comments:

  1. How much of the trail do you plan on doing Uncle Ed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandi's wedding and Tina's baby will stop me from finishing me original goal of all of MI this year. I had hoped to do the Lower half in the spring and the UP in the fall.

    I will decide if I am going to do Ohio next depending on timing and if Sabrina wants to start the AT.

    ReplyDelete