Sunday, May 2, 2010

An icy begining






Waking up Wednesday, April 28th, was a first for me even though I have been camping for 1 week in March and 2 more in April. The tent was covered in a thin coating of clear hard ice. Not frost.

The best I could figure is that everything must have gotten very wet as the temperature passed through the dew point and the cold 29 degrees must have then frozen it solid. I am used to a little frost but have never experienced this before.

Seven-thirty in the morning and I could tell it would be a clear crisp day. I listened to the weather report and it said the high would be in the upper 50's. A perfect day for hiking.

Coffee was the first priority as I was trying to adjust from the warmth of my sleeping bag to the cold weather. All the clothing with me was now on me and my body heat was warming my clothes as the coffee was warming me. The combination was working.

Grasping the tent while it was still assembled, I lifted it and shook it violently. This process shook off most of the ice but of course it was still very wet as was most of my clothing and other gear. Even damp I was warming up.

I wet packed my belongings and started this days adventure. The target finish is Wabasis Lake County Campground. It looked to be about 12 miles away using the suggested connectors of the NCT map. The entire path was over the road with no certified trail to be used. This gave me a little latitude with the exact route I would take.

Supplies were running low and I haven't had anything but low grade trail food since Larkin's back in Lowell so I was hoping to find a restaurant or grocery store. The path on the map gave small hope of that so I improvised and went from Ashley Avenue to west M-44.

This route would slightly shorten the trail and I would have a better chance of finding food on the bigger road. The very small town of Grattan was also just off of M-44. Food was on my mind as I began walking another day.

The scenery was pleasant, mostly just farm after farm. I took the left turn and headed west on M-44. I followed the route into Grattan and was rewarded by finding a bar and grill just as I was entering this small burg. The bar was located just past the Lessiter Avenue turn off which would take me straight to Hart Street and the NCT route. Once again, sometimes I get lucky.

The food and beer were wonderful and the guests and staff were talkative. I had a pleasant hour of relaxation. While I was there the server told me about an eagle's nest which wasn't to far away. She asked a local where it was and he said I was out of luck because it wasn't near anywhere I was going.

Following the trail I reached Wabasis. The scenery made up for the less than exciting over the road hike. Kent County sure knows how to maximize the use of a park area. I think everything was planned perfectly.

Just after entering the park there were picnic tables and vault restrooms. I took advantage of both. I took off my pack and laid in the warm sun for about 10 minutes. I didn't know how much further the campground would be and I had already covered 10 miles today and needed the break.

Continuing down the steep hilly path I came to a park sign pointing out all the amenities of the park. There is a nature center, a beach, multi use trails and a campground. That is where I headed.

I followed the road and eventually reached the registration and general store building. The young attendent explained the camping facilities. They had primitive camping which was close to water and close to the shower and bathroom building. I planned to put the shower to good use and they also had laudry facilities in this building which my gear badly needed.

All of my clothes, the sleeping bag and stuff sacks were damp and stinky from use and from being packed wet this morning. I bought laundry soap, fire wood and a few food items from the store and off I went to find my new home.

Once again I was the only tent camper in the park. There were two RV's in the developed area and I had my choice of sites in the primitive area. I went down the steps to a camping area which went right up to Wabasis Lake. The serenity and beauty of this camping area is unique to my experience.

There are several huge mishapen willow trees in the center of the camping area and I chose the site closest to the lake and near these forbiding trees. The best of all worlds.

Immediately, I set up the tent and I put up a makeshift clothes line to begin drying the rain fly.

Next, off to the laundry and shower room. Not enough quarters so back to the general store for change. I also bought more supplies and added an extra day to the camp registration. I new right away I wanted to spend an extra day in this beautiful park.

Back to the laundry. I put Mr. Sleeping Bag in one washer and the clothes in another. Is it just me or have you also noticed that the dryers never run long enough to entirely dry your clothes.

I was mostly worried that the sleeping bag was fully dry so I put in my remaining quarters and only the sleeping bag. While the sleeping bag was becoming hopefully totally dry I put on my damp rain gear and hand washed my Homer's.

Next I took a shower. I did not have a towel or any paper towels so I put on the damp rain gear and scooted across the hall into the men's room. Two hand dryers were utilized to dry me and the rain gear. I than dried my underwear in similar fashion.

The dryer went off and thankfully the sleeping bag was very close to dry. It would have to do. I packed up and down to camp I went. More makeshift clothes lines and I hung everything to dry. Next the campfire, fishing and Dinty Moore Beef Stew. All in all another great day.

Time for bed. I crawled into my sleeping bag and my bare toes felt cold wet cloth. The dryer couldn't even do the sleeping bag right. I put my feet in a stuff bag and slept soundly.

2 comments:

  1. Ed Miller Jr.2/5/10 6:56 PM

    Wow, picturing you bent down under the hand dryers is great and I am glad to see "homers" make an appearance in the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I could stand up. You could aim the nozzles. I was able to use both dryers at the same time. Kind of fun.

    ReplyDelete