Monday, May 31, 2010

Heading to Benton Lake

I woke early on the morning of May 8th, 2010. After brewing a pot of coffee I rechecked the weather forecast and it was even worse than before.

Rain with chances of snow and lows in the mid 20's. It was 34 degrees at 8:00 a.m. this morning with only a high of 40 degrees at mid-day.

The National Park at Benton Lake was about 12 miles away. It is a full service campground so I think I should be okay at this park. The NCTA map shows a campground, picnic area, a water source and a fishing pier.

I think I am more worried about the 10 day forecast than just today's. Most of the next ten days are forecast to be cold and wet.

Once again critical decisions need to be made. I had several choices to ponder.

1. I could stay put at the cabin
2. I could hike the twelve miles to Benton National Park and than try for a motel the next day
3. Throw in the towel and arrange for a ride home

Part of me wants to go home. I miss Diane. I need to deal with a few other family matters. My house and yard need some care. I want to get back to the Holly Nazarene Church.

Part of me wants to continue to Mackinac Bridge.

On Diane's previous visit we set the Memorial Weekend as my come home date. Once that day was set I started to get obsessed with making it to the bridge by then. I would have to average about 12 miles per day to make it. That would only give me a couple of short days and no days off to conserve energy. I was already starting to suffer because of the extra miles per day for the last 5 days.

Today would be pivotal in determining if I would have the stamina to go another 275 miles by Memorial day. The wet cold day yesterday took a lot out of me. My whole body hurts. What to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment