Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Rockford and more








The course I laid out for leaving the Wabasis State Park was a change to the connector route that NCT suggests on their maps. There was a high chance of thunderstorms in the forecast for the next two nights and I did not want to get caught in the woods. I have seen too many fallen trees and branches to think that a good idea.

The Colonial Inn in Rockford, MI would be the day's final destination. Since I was going off route I also planned to see the eagle's nest along the way. Fondly, I said my farewells to Wabasis and on Friday, April 30th I was on my way by 10:00 a.m. I often leave this late or later so that the camping gear dries out from that mornings dew.

The park seemed even prettier as I walked the short mile back to Wabasis Road and the beginning of that day's journey. After a couple of miles I headed west on 12 mile rd. Home of the famous eagle's nest.

After a short time I was distracted by the antics of the local wildlife. There was a swan and two ducks in this scenic pond on the south side of the road. It appeared the swan wanted to prove his dominance and the ducks wanted to prove that they enjoyed his efforts. Quite a game of chase had begun. They made an entertaining racket as they squawked and honked at each other. I took a few pictures and moved on.

At that point I noticed the many no parking signs lining both sides of the street. It dawned on me that I was near the eagle's nest. I walked, swiveling my head dizzily until the signs ended. Turning around I repeated the process heading in the opposite direction. The activity of the ducks and swan had not ceased. I was at the half way point of all the signage.

Realizing that the activity of the water fowl distracted me on my first pass I looked up in the trees instead of down at the birds and was rewarded with my first view of the extremely large eagle's nest. It was about 100 yards away and about one-fourth of the way from the top of the largest pine tree in the area.

The thickness of the pieces of wood used in building this tree house size nest surprised me. Many of the sticks were the size of my wrists! This nest was a fine piece of architecture. Imagine something that large being able to withstand the thunderstorms of summer and the ravages of winter and still be fully intact a year later.

Is it really just instinct or is there a lot more that animals actually process as they go through their lives? I will continue to eat beef and chicken but it defies logic to think that the amazing creatures of God are just dumb animals.

Several minutes were spent as I climbed through the woods and wetlands trying to get better pictures of the nest. I wasn't sure if I was seeing an eagle's head from time to time as I looked at the nest from different angles. It may have been wishful thinking when I thought I did. These majestic birds may have abandoned this nest after last year's family was raised.

This was one time I wished I had a pair of binoculars or a better camera. Weight considerations would have made this foolish for the quest but at this moment it almost seemed worth it. I finally gave up and continued my journey.

Further down the road I approached the Swan area cemetery. My first look past the fence proved once again that in most cases we Americans do a good job taking care of the sacred and venerable. This historic cemetery was in very good repair.

I reached the gate and a history of the area was carved into the posts of both sides of the gate. The civil war had greatly affected this area of our state more than 140 years ago.

Melancholy touched my soul as I looked at the tombstones and read the words on the gate. I thought of Fort Custer National Cemetery, Pearl Harbor National Monument, the Vietnam Wall, Arlington Cemetery and the other great monuments to man's fight to do the right thing in America.

Whatever your politics, for whatever reasons our politicians took us to war, just or unjust, one point is perfectly clear to me. The young men who died by the 100's of thousands believed that they were doing the right thing. Their sacrifice has made us what we are today. Let us all honor them this Memorial Day.

The rest of the day was uneventful, boring and hard work. I have seen enough farms and small towns to last me awhile. Lake Wabasis was a much needed break in the 40 miles or so of over the road trails between the Lowell State Game Area and the upcoming Rogue State Game Area.

I am longing for the woods.

Later that day, I reached the Colonial Inn. I met Bob who reviewed my intended route. He pointed out that there was a little cabin based motel called Shady Lawn about 12 miles north between Cedar Springs and Sand Lake. He also told me about a VFW camp that might put me up for a night 14 miles north of the Rouge River State Game Area that I may consider using in a few days.

The Shady Lawn was about 4 miles out of my way but with more storms in the forcast I gave real consiseration. I sent an email to the Directors of the VFW Trotter Park which was right off the trail.

I slept throught the rain.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ed,
    Pat from Newaygo (Croton) here. I enjoyed our talk today as you walked and I biked north on Elm avenue. Hope you enjoy the next few days of off road hiking, some very nice country ahead of you. If you can send me an E-mail, I'll send you the pictures I took. ploomis (at) triton (dot)net .
    Good Luck & Good hiking

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina Ascione5/5/10 5:36 AM

    Hi Dad!
    Sounds like you are doing well. I can't believe how much ground you have covered. Just wanted to make sure you are keeping that upper body in shape cause I am gonna need some muscles to help me move into my NEW HOUSE in the middle of June!

    Love ya!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat, I appreciated the company. Your knowledge of the area filled in a few blanks for me. Thanks for helping keep up the trail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! New house. New brother-in-law. New baby. Anything else to keep you busy this summer?

    ReplyDelete