Saturday, May 1, 2010

An exciting day






I woke up in the Boy Scout Cabin warm and dry. I checked my watch and it was 7:30 a.m. on Tuesday, April 27th. I looked outside and could tell I was in for a beautiful day.

Today, I would be intercepting the NCT by walking up the hill behind the cabin. Del was scheduled to come by at 9:00 a.m. to lock up after I leave. I waited for Del to come before I left. He has a great heart and I was interested in talking to him again.

He arrived promptly at 9:00 a.m. and we talked for 20 minutes. A couple of well seasoned men just talking. Time for me to go. Del pointed to the power lines and said just keep following the lines until you reach the trail.

There have been other times in my life when I would have been better off if I just listened and did exactly as I was told. Just ask my wife.

I tend to make decisions as I go. This has paid off more times than not but if you are wrong you have to pay the price yourself.

Today was a day that I may have been better off listening. I started out as Del had directed. Up the hill and to the power lines I went. Just as I was nearing the power lines a very established looking trail presented itself to me.

I scanned the area for the blue blaze but none could be seen. This should have told me to keep going. All certified sections of the NCT are marked with the now familiar blue blaze.

I decided to follow this trail anyway. It appeared to be easy to follow and I was sure it would cross the NCT in a short distance. Down the trail I went. The trail followed the Flat River for a short time. It was beautiful. Another win for taking the path less chosen.

The trail became more difficult to follow. In fact, it had probably ended and there was a good chance I was on a deer trail or one used occasionally by hunters. I abruptly halted as I could go no further. The river turned at this point. Water was on one side, a very wet bog in front and a very, very steep climb to my right. Did I mention that I really don't like to back trail unless I absolutely have to?

It was early in the day and I was feeling strong and spunky. I would go for the steep climb. I knew this was potentially treacherous because of the 50 lb. pack I carry. Once the weight shifts, there I go.

I kept my center of gravity low and used the trekking poles to gain purchase. I was making slow progress but I was going up. The higher I went the steeper the climb. I finally had to crawl on my belly to move up further.

A new problem was added. The ground was now very soft and the trekking poles would just push through. They were now getting in the way more than helping. Many of the small trees and bushes would pull from the earth as I would try to take purchase. I had to almost slither from one larger tree or bush to another in a sideways and slowly upward direction.

Concern was entering my thinking. I had slid down a few feet on a couple of occasions and I wasn't sure I was going to make the last 10 feet. I threw the trekking poles javelin style to the crest. Both of them landed safely. That encumbrance was out of the way.

Now, I only felt determination. There was no going back now. I am not particularly proud of this but I think hanging on by my teeth is what eventually got me to the top. I literally grasped the lowest branch of a sapling with my teeth so I could free up both hands to make a lunge to a large tree that would put me over the top. The maneuver worked and I lived to tell you about it.

I was on the crest of a hill and sure enough there was the much appreciated blue blaze. I was on the trail again.

The part of the NCT that goes through the Lowell State Game Area is particularly appealing. It was hilly and hard work but well worth the effort. I emerged at Fallesburg Park. I treated myself to an hour of fishing, eating and enjoying God's splendor.

The rest of the day would be over the road hiking. Down Ashley Avenue I went searching for a place to put up my tent. I had marked my map just past 4 Mile Road on a railroad track during the planning for this part of the hike. It represented a last resort "Commando Camping" spot.

I knew I was reaching the area but there was no sign of a railroad. I didn't think the map was wrong so where was the railroad? I literally crossed the spot the tracks used to be. I thought at first that it was a gravel road but the rocks were too big. I followed the road for a little while and spotted what looked to be an old piece of the timber which supports the track. I also saw a box which looked like railroad equipment.

This was it. I found a suitable spot and called Diane to let her know where I would be spending the night. I wanted to make sure that I was secluded so I did not set up the tent right away. I made some rice and talked to Diane. I was feeling pretty smug with the remoteness of the location I had picked and suddenly I noticed a lady coming down the old track at a quick pace. I said good-bye to Diane and quickly made myself visible so that I would not startle the lady who was still about 100 feet away.

I casually walked towards the lady with my sweetest smile and a non-threatening posture. I asked her if this was the old railroad and she said it was. She told me that the rail-to-trails organization was putting a path through here. She told me that the landowners didn't like it because it would lead to more break-ins. I thanked her for her time and away she went.

About the landowners. Do they really think that people hiking or on bicycles are likely to break into their homes and than make good their escape down the trail? I did my best not to laugh at her when she told me this.

I waited a bit apprehensively before I finally put up the tent and turned in for the night. I did not know if anyone else was going to show up or if the lady was going to send people to scare me off.

It turned out I had a peaceful night. I did not see or hear anyone else and I slept well. The night was very cold and in the morning my tent was full of ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment